An Email needs no introduction. We all are familiar with the wonder known as Electronic Mail. Not long before, snail mail and fax were the Masters and we were the slaves. But after its inception in 1990’s, Email revolutionized the communication trends of the business world by successfully dethroning its predecessors. Even though the world is highly active on social media and is taking over all the major communication options, but email has not lost its significance.
And no need to say if something is progressing and going up like anything, it is bound to attract the attention of the marketing gurus. Once again, the masters of marketing were spot on in seeing the hidden potential of electronic mail that can be used as a great marketing tool.
When they started targeting masses by means of emails, we were introduced to the term known as Email Marketing. Let us zoom in on the details.
Let’s not complicate it and understand in very simple words. Whenever we receive an email that has any kind of advertisement in it or it contains some kind of request for business or donations or a proposal of sales, then this email can be considered as a marketing email and this strategy is what we call Email Marketing. The basic purpose of these emails is very lucid. They want to promote their product by building trust and creating awareness among their customers. The fundamental of email marketing is that the emails are sent to a list of people which include existing as well as potential customers. These emails usually highlight the relationship of the merchant with their existing customers and the faith of customer in a certain product or service.
In general, there are two types of email marketing namely:
- Mobile Email Marketing.
- Transactional Emails.
Mobile Email Marketing:
As the name suggests, Mobile Email Marketing is the sending marketing emails to mobile phones and tablets in order to get noticed by as many customers as possible. Smartphones generate a huge amount of traffic when it comes to online activity and hence, they got on the list of marketers. But there is one thing to be kept in mind. The emails should be well optimized as there are filters in mobile phones that categorize emails as spam. Another aspect that needs attention is that many users use multiple accounts on a single smartphone and this can cause a delay in the outputs.
First of all, A Transactional Email has nothing to do with an actual transaction. Instead, transactional emails are a result of a consumer’s action with the website or the company. They are real-time electronic emails generated when a user actually registers into a website for the first time or they can be password reset emails, Thank You emails for some particular action that you performed with some certain website, etc. They are triggered when there is an interaction between the user and the website and this is why they are also called Triggered Emails. These emails can be really effective for a merchant or company that is trying to enhance or extend their relationships with their new or existing customers.
Top Techniques for Email Marketing:
Now that we are through with the basics of Email Marketing, we should quickly move to the top techniques that are going to boost your email marketing campaign. Here we go-
- Optimizing the emails according to Mobile Phones: As the time is progressing, we have seen that usage of smartphones is increasing and with the introduction of new technologies, smartphones are getting smarter day by day. People, rather than using their personal computers or laptops, prefer checking their emails on the phones. This has lead to a high increase in the traffic due to mobile phones. And it is pretty obvious that you should optimize your emails according to the mobile phones in order to get the most out of it. Also, keeping your emails interactive can be a good strategy to engage customers.
- Social Media: This is something in trend and can always help your cause. Around 62 percent of web users have social media accounts. So why not launch an email campaign that encourages engagement by means of social media. This campaign can be anything ranging from a webinar to a Facebook Live session or as a matter of fact, a contest with good rewards.
- Waking Up the Inactive Clan: According to latest researches, around 60-63 percent of people are inactive when it comes to emails and that makes a majority of people. The best way is to target these people and try to get them back into the fold by sending them some tempting mail which can re-ignite their interest for good.
- Addition of Interactive Images: Some wise man said: “A picture is worth a thousand words.” Well, this is very true in the case of an email. Just imagine, would you like to read a monotonous email filled with so many words? Or would you prefer an email with some interactive infographics and gifts to make you understanding easier and fun? The latter is surely going to serve the purpose as it will catch your attention and will be more likely to make an impact on the reader.
- The Subject Lines: Last but not the least; this is a point that cannot be neglected. The subject line of an email is probably the first thing that will catch the reader’s attention. It does not mean that you are going to write a short tale in the subject section. Keep it short, precise and crisp. The smaller, the better. Using catch phrases can always be helpful.
Now that you have the insight of Email Marketing, you just need to do your research and find out which masses are you targeting. So you better get to work because your competitors are already on it.